The first really nasty Trojan to hits Macs slithered onto 600,000 Apple computers worldwide. F-Secure, a world leader in security, has posted a way to check and see if your Mac is infected and if so how to clean it up.
Please note that this is meant for experienced users and needs to be done carefully. Earlier this week Apple released a security update for all Macs. Please check to see that you have that update.
If you prefer, you can download and print the instructions here.
Caution: Manual disinfection is a risky process; it is recommended only for advanced users. Otherwise, please seek professional technical assistance. F-Secure customers may also contact our Support.
Manual Removal Instructions
- 1. Run the following command in Terminal:defaults read /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info LSEnvironment
- 2. Take note of the value, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
- 3. Proceed to step 8 if you got the following error message:”The domain/default pair of (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Info, LSEnvironment) does not exist”
- 4. Otherwise, run the following command in Terminal:grep -a -o ‘__ldpath__[ -~]*’ %path_obtained_in_step2%
- 5. Take note of the value after “__ldpath__”
- 6. Run the following commands in Terminal (first make sure there is only one entry, from step 2):sudo defaults delete
There is a worm in the Apple or in more than a half million of them. The new Flashback Trojan requires no interaction to insert itself into the Mac computers; just visit the poisoned website and Wammo! Apple released a patch later in the week but the fears are rising that this is just the first of a new wave of malware. …Read More
This is a very special show featuring the daughters of three of our team’s experts. Gary Baker, Ed Rudel and Cal Carson will try to catch up to their technologically advanced off-spring and to find out what role technology is playing in their lives as college coeds.
Lauren Baker, 19 is in her second year at her father’s alma mater, University of Michigan where she is studying marketing. She has a long history of appearances on the Internet Advisor, starting when she was 5 and published her first webpage just in time for Mother’s Day 1998.
Shardae Rudel. 18 years old. Freshman at Grand Valley State University. her current major is “Creative Writing”, but might change it to communications. She loves to write short stories, Choir-Show-Musicals, hanging with her friends, and you just can’t stop her from singing.
Meredith Carson is 23 years old and attending Oakland Community College pursuing a degree in American Sign Language. She has also participated in the Disney College program. She is raising a Lab puppy for the Leader Dog for the Blind program. An avid volunteer with the Parade Company in Detroit. She is an employee with Apple computer. Her interests …Read More